JOB OBJECTIVE: To provide high quality communications that support and connect with Usona Institute’s audiences and its many relationships. The Communications Manager is continually learning to keep pace with constant developments in the field and then reflects that learning in the evolving Usona communications. This role ensures a communications experience and messaging approach that is clear, relevant, consistent and conveys the essence of Usona.
We are is seeking an experienced, mission-minded communications professional interested in working in the rapidly evolving field of psychedelic research. Usona Institute, a medical research organization founded in 2014, continues to expand its impact and global reach via programs in medicinal chemistry, clinical research, education, and training.
The successful candidate will have experience in:
• Content development across media platforms
• Media relations - local to global
• Identity management
• Socially dynamic information
Ideally will also have experience in journalism and/or communications within a life science, non-profit or clinical research organization.
Communications Development and Implementation:
1. Set and articulate communications strategies to that provide focus, continuity and efficiency in communications work.
2. Develop, implement, and evaluate communications in collaboration with the colleagues and constituents of Usona programs. This includes content to address Usona clinical research, academic research support, education, training and funding for Usona.
3. Create and maintain content across primary comms platforms including: Usona’s website, social media, blog posts, events, video and philanthropic reports.
4. Develop and manage communications channels to create momentum and awareness of Usona’s initiatives.
5. Examine effectiveness of communications activities and recommend improvements as needed.
6. Provide project management of cross functional teams for communications-related tasks – includes tracking and management of budgets, timelines, meeting agendas, and work plans.
7. Manage Usona identity and graphic presence. Continue to evolve public presence with the growth of the organization and expectations of target audiences.
8. Develop and maintain accurate and consistent key messaging on Usona’s priority programs across platforms and materials. Includes managing core content about Usona.
9. Work collaboratively with Philanthropy/Development team to develop PowerPoint decks, brochures, and other informational materials as needed, ensuring consistent messaging.
10. Maintain/update Usona Communications Guidelines and FAQs documents for internal reference purposes.
Public and Media Relations:
1. Manage media relations. Serve as conduit for media and community. Includes research and vetting of inquiries and requests.
2. Provide colleague prep and support for media interviews.
3. Develop press releases, media advisories, backgrounders, and supporting multimedia as needed.
4. Explore and recommend new media sources and events that align with strategic goals of Usona’s growth.
5. Track media relations in CRM system.
6. Manage social media platforms.
7. Monitor media outlets and its thought leaders to stay abreast of current work. Communicate findings to relevant internal stakeholders.
1. Understand and comply with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Minimum of a bachelor’s degree; master’s degree preferred and/or five- seven years’ relevant experience in public relations, journalism, communications, or a related field.
2. Experience working with local, national and global media sources.
3. Strong organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
4. Self-directed, team player who has a strong work ethic and ability to multi-task
5. Ability to authentically convey complex messages in relatable language.
6. Ability to work effectively across a variety of disciplines including leadership, scientists and administrators.
7. Ability to meet travel requirements and/or work remotely.
1. Experience in a non-profit or research-based organization.
2. Experience around clinical research or life sciences.
3. Experience developing communications within quality systems protocols.
1. Ability to use a computer and Microsoft Office applications
Diversity is important at Usona. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.