JOB OBJECTIVE: Directs the planning, development, optimization, and implementation of chemistry manufacturing methods and processes for existing and new products for area of responsibility.
1. Develop plans, priorities and systems to efficiently and effectively utilize all resources (equipment and personnel) in functional area to meet production schedules, product standards and operational costs. Ensure that manufacturing capability is adequate to meet existing and anticipated needs.
2. Meet objectives for inventory due dates.
3. In conjunction with Process Research, plan and implement process improvement activities to increase production efficiency, improve safety, reduce cost of production, and maintain product quality.
4. Identify and meet customer expectations for quality and performance of products.
5. Implement most appropriate production technologies and quality assurance techniques for manufacturing of products in area of responsibility.
6. Establish appropriate quality, safety, and housekeeping standards in all areas of responsibility.
7. Ensure that production planning process is efficient and effective in meeting production schedules.
8. Manage staff: conduct performance reviews, career development, salary reviews and personal development plans for employees; review needs and provide training opportunities for staff to develop personal job-related skills and to improve operational flexibility to meet strategic needs.
9. Participate in strategic planning, budgeting and operations' planning within area of responsibility.
10. Maintain ongoing analysis of key issues, goals and metrics to provide regular updates to manager and business areas as needed.
11. Maintain effective interdepartmental communication and timely follow-up to assure that all manufacturing and corporate objectives are met.
12. Apply project management concepts for transition of new products from Process Research to Manufacturing.
13. Act as a manufacturing representative on new product teams and in operational meetings for existing products. Provide information to team concerning all aspects of the production and QC process. Provide logistical support as needed for launching new products.
14. Coordinate with Finance and Accounting and Materials Management to ensure timely flow of information on costs of goods manufactured, raw material purchasing requirements, and budget analysis.
15. Understand and comply with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. B.S. in Organic Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related discipline.
2. Ten or more years experience in production and process/systems optimization in a fine chemical, health science, pharmaceutical, or biotechnology manufacturing environment, including a minimum of five years experience in managing a large, diverse staff.
3. Working knowledge and experience with fine chemical manufacturing and QC systems.
4. Minimum five years project management experience in a technical area within a cross-functional team environment.
5. Strong safety mindset.
6. Outstanding critical thinking and troubleshooting skills.
7. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
8. Successful in implementing ideas and influencing people in a team environment.
9. Demonstrated record of improving manufacturing processes in a multiproduct manufacturing environment.
10. Experience in planning for resource and equipment to meet manufacturing needs.
1. M.S. or Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
2. Strong organizational and communication skills and a demonstrated ability and desire to share experience and knowledge with staff.
3. Excellent business management understanding.
4. Experience in a regulated industry.
5. Knowledge of green chemistry processes.
6. Understanding of material planning processes and best practices.
7. Experience using SAP in a manufacturing environment.
8. Strong history of effective process development.
1. Ability to use computer equipment.
2. Ability to lift 50 pounds.
3. Ability to wear personal protective equipment.
4. Ability to travel up to 25% of the time.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.