JOB OBJECTIVE: Manages and oversees the strategic and tactical activities of environmental, health and safety for Chemistry Manufacturing Operations. Ensures compliance with corporate objectives and all applicable local, state and federal regulations. Manages the development, planning and implementation of environmental, health and safety programs for Chemistry Manufacturing Operations.
1. Provides overall direction and leadership for the Environmental, Health and Safety programs for Chemistry Manufacturing Operations across Promega in order to meet organizational objectives and complying with all applicable local, state, and federal regulations.
2. Responsible for the development, planning, and implementation of health, safety, industrial, and environmental programs, policies, and procedures across multiple chemical operation sites using a collaborative methodology to ensure a safe and healthful work environment.
3. Monitors performance and conducts periodic audits of Environmental, Health and Safety Management Systems to assure compliance to all requirements.
4. Ensures compliance with governmental regulations, company standards, and other recommended best practices and guidelines.
5. Develops recommendations to prevent or correct hazardous situations.
6. Maintains current awareness of environmental and safety trends, best practices, standards, and government regulations. Makes recommendations regarding equipment and programs to ensure ongoing improvement and compliance. Communicates all applicable federal, state, local, and corporate regulations to management and the employees.
7. Oversees training requirements for chemistry operations. This includes hazardous waste handling, hazard communication, emergency and spill response, PPE, etc.
8. Liaison with government agencies.
9. Interface and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders in the development and implementation of new policies and compliance activities.
10. Recruit, manage and develop all staff to meet staff, departmental and business needs. Develops staff and manages performance utilizing metrics, goals and objectives, performance appraisal, and succession planning to insure organization is effective and poised to strategically meet the needs of the business.
11. Maintain lines of communication with regulatory agencies to ensure Promega’s Environmental, Health and Safety Management System has incorporated any new regulatory requirements.
12. Understands and complies with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Other job duties as assigned.
1. BA or BS in a scientific, industrial, environmental, or related field.
2. Minimum of 10 years experience managing EH&S systems for a chemical manufacturing environment, with an advanced knowledge of EH&S programs, regulatory requirements, and hazardous materials management.
3. Minimum 5 years overall leadership experience at a departmental level supervising people and projects.
4. Demonstrated ability to develop and implement an Environmental, Health and Safety Management System that simultaneously meets business and regulatory requirements.
5. Ability to partner with all stakeholders to develop and implement workable business solutions to meet Environmental, Health and Safety corporate objectives.
6. Ability to communicate effectively (oral, written, formal and informal) with stakeholders at all levels within and outside the organization.
7. Proven ability to manage EHS functions in a highly-complex, highly-technical rapidly-moving environment.
8. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
1. Understanding of local area and state safety, health, and environmental regulations.
2. Understanding of ISO 9001 requirements.
3. Understanding of OSHA 1910.119 Process Safety Management of Highly Hazardous Chemical.
4. Understanding of Process Hazard Analysis methodologies.
5. HAZWOPER certified,
6. DOT hazardous materials shipping certified.
7. Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) or Certified Safety Professional (CSP).
1. Must be able to move about the building, the labs, and offices while performing the tasks described above.
2. Must be able to stand for moderate periods of time.
3. Must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds on an occasional basis.
4. Must be able to stoop, bend, crouch, kneel, push and pull, climb stairs and ladders on an occasional basis.
5. Must be able to identify and distinguish colors.
6. Requires corrected vision for near (within 20 cm) and far (greater than 3m) activities.
7. Must be able to use a computer,
8. Must be able to wear appropriate safety equipment.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.