JOB OBJECTIVE: To perform the calibration and maintenance of laboratory test equipment in assigned area (including minor repair and adjustment as required). Maintain computerized and written work records and contribute to the department’s preventive maintenance program.
1. Perform the testing, adjusting, repairs and calibration of the following types of test equipment: pipettes, thermometers, high-speed centrifuges, thermal cyclers, spectrophotometers, power supplies, balance and scales, temperature controlled equipment such as water baths, ovens, incubators and shakers; and other small laboratory equipment as required, using calibration procedures and maintenance manuals. This includes decision making about repair, replace or adjust for each piece of equipment.
2. Prioritize workload and scheduling according to calibration due dates, equipment location, and customer requirements, with a goal of minimizing overdue calibration.
3. Schedule and perform preventive maintenance service on various laboratory equipment.
4. Maintain calibration and service records for work performed on laboratory equipment, both in electronic form and in a computerized management system.
5. Determine the appropriate spare parts inventory levels for pipettes and other frequently used parts.
6. Keep the Manager and senior metrology personnel updated, and stay informed of all department related activities.
7. Assist with activities in SAP as they apply to Metrology materials, including monitoring spare parts, ordering stock spare parts, inventorying parts as required and maintenance of the spare parts inventory.
8. Provide Metrology support services as required to maintain a safe and efficient work environment.
9. Understands and complies with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Instruction of scientific staff on proper operation and use of test equipment.
2. Contribute metrology expertise to lab equipment purchasing decisions.
3. Assist in updating departmental procedures.
4. Assist with equipment repair activities.
5. Assist with the Metrology planner activities in SAP, including creation of equipment, creation of maintenance plans, monitoring and assigning work orders, approving and making usage decisions and closing Metrology repair work orders.
6. Contribute to special projects. This may include addressing equipment and customer needs, calculating program parameters and identifying probe connections, set-up, data collection, tear-down, and final data presentation for the customer; while fulfilling the customer's needs within the project's parameters for data collection and safety.
7. Assist with the support of management with supplying departmental metrics, supporting audits and providing other departmental information as requested.
1. High School Diploma or equivalent.
2. Between three and six years laboratory instrument calibration experience, or equivalent.
3. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
4. An advanced knowledge of Metrology, such as information regarding equipment, parts, calibration schedules, manuals, and work orders can be processed and understood.
1. Associates Degree in an electronic/scientific/metrology discipline or equivalent.
2. Completion of military (PMEL) or civilian metrology school.
3. Familiarity with ISO 9001, ISO 13485 and traceability of standards and test equipment.
4. The ability to work and communicate well with a diversified scientific and manufacturing staff and respond promptly and efficiently to their needs.
5. The ability to maintain a positive, productive and flexible work attitude with a willingness to adjust schedule as required.
1. Ability to move objects ranging in weight up to 60 lbs., up to 1 hour per day.
2. Ability to work in areas with limited space.
3. Ability to climb ladders occasionally.
4. Ability to work in a clean room environment.
5. Ability to stand and/or sit for several hours at a time.
6. Ability to bend multiple times per day.
7. Ability to use hands for repetitive motions throughout shift.
8. Ability to move in and out of environments up to -20 degrees C temperature occasionally.
9. Ability to use computer and telephone equipment.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.