JOB OBJECTIVE: This position is responsible for managing and leading the product development team and process for instruments, including architecting at the system level and the design of firmware, software, electrical, mechanical, liquid-handling and optical subsystems. In partnership with the R&D team, Application Scientists, Project Management, Marketing and Operations, the Senior Director will meet company and business unit objectives for new product development by effectively utilizing Promega’s Engineering resources worldwide.
1. Responsible for the overall planning, execution, and success of instrument product development projects including meeting product development target metrics.
2. Facilitate instrument product roadmap & prioritization process by soliciting input from business unit leaders and technical staff members and presenting summary to the executive team for prioritization and approval.
3. Create compelling product concepts and requirements with clearly articulated value propositions in partnership with product management, R&D team, and engineering team.
4. Propose instrument design modifications that leverage the advantages of Promega proprietary reagent research consistent with improving customer value propositions.
5. Produce instrument designs that meet specifications for performance, ease of use, reliability and cost.
6. Build the company’s engineering capabilities through staffing, training, and selection and implementation of engineering tools.
7. Responsible for maintaining adherence to a product development process that meets QSR and ISO design control standards as applicable.
8. Partner with manufacturing and QA to lead execution of a robust design transfer process that achieves reliability of manufacture and product quality expectations.
9. Oversee all sustaining Engineering activities as required to fix product defects, deal with part obsolescence, improve manufacturability, and manage cost of goods.
10. Accountable for the technical input required for creating and maintaining intellectual property and avoiding infringement of competitors’ intellectual property.
11. Apply knowledge of principles and practices of product development to manage the product development portfolio.
12. Collaborate globally with business unit leaders, marketing, reagents R&D team, application scientists, and project management in the development of project scope and project benefits as a prerequisite for new product development planning.
13. Provide guidance for R&D and project management regarding corrective actions, risk analysis, and improvements to our new product development process with a focus on continuous improvement.
14. Lead and participate in problem solving for new and existing products.
15. With input from the marketing and applications teams, specifies new products. Advises other team members of feasibility, costs and risks.
16. Learn of new technologies and processes, and incorporates them into current business.
17. Act as senior technical officer with input on manufacturing and quality assurance.
18. Oversee safety and EMC compliance.
19. Understand and comply with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Support operations, safety, and other business functions requiring the engagement of R&D and new product development.
2. Support special projects related to new product development activities. Partner to help manage efforts, including QSR and Design Control and guide effort on complex projects that require the development of significant new processes.
3. Continually improve our new product development process through evaluation of internal and external customer feedback.
4. Travel associated with new product development business objectives.
5. Participate in activities required to achieve and maintain ISO and QSR compliance.
1. Bachelor of Science in Engineering or Life Sciences.
2. 7+ years of Management experience developing instruments for life sciences or biotech.
3. Deep knowledge of a gated life cycle development process for hardware, software, and reagents.
4. International professional experience with experience managing international organizations.
5. Strong planning and organizational skills with a cultural bias that reflects the values of Promega worldwide.
6. Minimum 10 years project management experience in a technical area within a cross-functional team environment.
7. Demonstrated interpersonal interactions conducive to sustainable creativity, effectiveness, and intellectual stimulation across all project stakeholders.
8. Demonstrated capability to build and maintain organizations through appropriate staffing, training, and development of employees.
9. Strong communication and interpersonal skills to manage and work with a wide variety of personalities and cultures.
10. Experience with ISO 9001, ISO 13485, QSR, or other similar quality system with a proven track record of producing high quality products.
11. Demonstrated a record of achievement in Research and New Product development.
12. Solid computer skills and working knowledge of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
1. M.S. degree in Engineering or Life Sciences or Chemistry.
2. Experience in an ISO 13485 or QSR compliant environment.
3. In depth understanding of the development and maintenance of instruments for luminescence, fluorescence, and absorbance detection, acquired through formal education, hands on work and management experience.
1. Ability to work in an office environment utilizing a computer workstation.
2. Ability to work in a lab environment with chemical, biological and packaging materials.
3. Ability to travel by car or airplane, for one or several days, to suppliers, equipment vendors, trade shows, etc.
4. Ability to travel nationally and internationally as required.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.