JOB OBJECTIVE: Scientific Training is responsible for the design and development of effective and engaging learning interventions for global Sales, Technical Services Scientists, and Distributors. Our Training Programs are conducted remotely and in-person at our three training centers located in Madison, France and Singapore. The primary responsibilities of the Scientific Training Instructional Designer position are to:
• Collaborate with stakeholders to identify knowledge and performance gaps and determine training goals.
• Lead the design and development of sales and product training sessions. Recommend interactive training approaches, activity formats, and delivery methods to meet the training goals for classroom, laboratory, blended and online training courses.
• Develop and execute laboratory experiments using Promega products and technologies in order to create effective and valuable hands-on activities in a group format.
• Partner with R&D Scientists and Application Scientists to implement classroom and laboratory activities.
1. Use Instructional System Design (ISD) principles, instructional models, and principles of instruction to design and develop technical product and sales process sessions.
2. In collaboration with stakeholders (Marketing, Sales, and R&D) identify knowledge and performance gaps. Use systematic methods for needs analysis to determine the type and content of training that meets the specific needs of stakeholders and learners.
3. Produce lesson plans for session and course design that include: audience analysis, learning goals and objectives, content and resources, instructional activities, activity sequences, training methods and assessments. Create storyboards and scripts for eLearning trainings.
4. Design and develop interactive, engaging instruction that includes practice, feedback and assessments to ensure the training achieves the learning objectives. Create instructional materials, job aides, quizzes and surveys.
5. Design and develop hands-on laboratory activities that meet the training needs, time constraints, laboratory, and equipment constraints and provide a valuable experience in a group setting. Perform laboratory experiments to support the development and validation of the laboratory activity.
6. Assist and coach subject-matter experts with training implementation.
7. Serve as primary or secondary instructor for live and virtual classroom events. Use a variety of training delivery methods for eLearning, webcast, and live classroom.
8. Assist with the management of the training laboratories, including supplies and reagents inventory, equipment maintenance, set-up and scheduling. Support laboratory activities for external customer events.
9. Understand and comply with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Maintain an awareness of current training strategies, instructional design models, best practices, and delivery methods.
2. Evaluate learning effectiveness and use evaluation data to support continuous training program improvements.
3. Act as Lab Liaison for maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment. Perform monthly laboratory inspection and comply with requirements.
4. Assist Scientific Applications Department with corporate events and projects.
5. Assist with the remote demonstrations, including operating the remote video system.
6. Deploy training and track learner progress using a Learning Management System (LMS).
1. BS degree in biological sciences with 4+ years of biotechnology post-graduate laboratory experience. MS or PhD degree in biological sciences with 1+ years of biotechnology post-graduate laboratory experience. Experience may be in academia, industry, or non-profit.
2. Ability to rapidly learn Promega chemistries, technologies and instruments and translate into an effective activity (laboratory or classroom) to address learner needs.
3. Ability to effectively prioritize multiple projects and manage time to meet deadlines. Ability to adapt to changing priorities, direction and strategies.
4. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Ability to take ownership and responsibility for assigned projects and tasks.
5. Ability to successfully collaborate at all levels of the organization, including training stakeholders, subject matter experts, team members, and customers.
6. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Proven strong presentation skills and ability to facilitate.
7. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite Applications (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote and Skype).
8. Ability to work outside normal business hours to support training events.
1. Knowledge of adult learning theories and experience using the ADDIE model for training development.
2. Previous experience conducting classroom or laboratory trainings or providing technical customer service in a business setting.
3. Experience using scientific graphic and statistics programs (e.g. GraphPad Prism).
4. Experience using Learning Management Systems (LMS).
5. Experience using SharePoint, Adobe Connect (or other web conferencing software), audience response systems, Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator, course authoring tools (e.g. Articulate Storyline, Adobe Captivate), or digital media tools for audio-video production.
1. Ability to use computers, tablets, mobile devices, and AV equipment.
2. Ability to lift objects, such as scientific instruments, up to approximately 60 lbs. Ability to climb a ladder.
3. Ability to work safely in a laboratory setting following Health & Safety guidelines and procedures.
4. Ability to travel occasionally, both domestic and international.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.