JOB OBJECTIVE: Support rapid business growth by leading the development, design, and project management of new product launch and packaging projects, to include new packaging designs, material conversion /cost reductions and Quality and Regulatory compliance. Identify, assess and implement new opportunities / projects through frequent interaction with manufacturing, R&D, and outside material suppliers. Interface with equipment and packaging component suppliers to ensure that the technical needs of the manufacturing facilities are being met on a consistent basis.
1. Packaging Design - Work with Dispensing, Kit Packaging, New Product Realization (NPR), and Marketing personnel as well as vendors to develop packaging designs, materials and processes for new products. Identify or design product primary packaging (plastic bottles and induction seal closures, laminate films, glass vials/bottles, rubber stoppers and crimp seals) secondary packaging (labels, cartons thermoforms) and distribution packaging (corrugated, insulated containers and foam). Work with internal scientific staff and external test labs to qualify new or revised packaging or delivery methods. Act as technical liaison to vendors in development of specifications. Travel to vendors to observe and audit production runs, processes, and specifications
2. Packaging Documentation and Quality – Accountable and responsible for the quality of all packaging materials. Develop and maintain Material Specifications for all primary, secondary, and tertiary packaging materials. Apply quality engineering, statistical analysis, and experimental design techniques to perform root cause analysis for resolution of material quality problems. Perform process capability studies, set specifications for in-process inspection or QC tests, and perform process validation studies. Support packaging process validation work, as required.
3. Packaging Testing - Use Packaging Engineering Laboratory equipment, and test methods to conduct shipping studies of product to different geographies around the world. Interpret the data generated during the testing to draw conclusions and recommend package design changes that might resolve deficiencies in the original package design. Use applicable packaging laws, guidance for industry, industry-recognized standards and test methods (ASTM, ISTA, ISO, USP, etc…).
4. Process Improvement/Cost Reduction - Investigate and analyze existing manufacturing processes for on-going continuous improvement in the areas of quality, cost, throughput, capability, efficiency, workflow, and overall resource utilization. Monitor available technologies in packaging materials and processes to identify and implement opportunities for improvement. Work with vendors and outside resources in the continuous improvement of packaging materials and processes. Recommend and implement new or improved packaging processes and facilities. Lead efforts to develop product cost data (materials, labor, and overhead) and collaborate with Promega personnel and suppliers to implement targeted cost reductions in product processing, as relates to packaging materials and designs.
5. Understand and comply with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Packaging Automation - Investigate and analyze packaging processes for automation and new technology potential. Research and identify appropriate equipment for automation of packaging processes. Perform financial justification analysis, write equipment specifications, evaluate bids, and manage successful installation and start-up including validation.
2. Provide support to Management for special projects or duties.
3. Present updates and departmental information at various company meetings.
4. Attend relevant packaging meetings and technical seminars.
1. B.S. in Packaging Engineering.
2. 1 to 3 years of packaging experience in a manufacturing environment in the biotech, pharmaceutical, diagnostics, OTC, food, or beverage industry.
3. Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
4. Computer skills including MS office – Statistical software experience desired.
5. Experience with automated packaging equipment, packaging materials and components, performance evaluations, conducting distribution challenge testing, design control, and relevant 2D/3D CAD programs.
1. Certified Packaging Engineer with the Institute of Packaging Professionals.
2. Experience with molded plastic containers and closure systems.
3. Experience with automated packaging equipment.
4. Experience in an ISO 9000, FDA cGMP, or USDA regulated environment.
5. Experience managing technical (equipment and/or facilities) projects to successful completion.
6. Six Sigma methods and tools as needed.
7. Cross-functional team experience, including technical and non-technical work.
8. Ability to organize and present technical and project management overviews.
1. Ability to observe and inspect equipment and operations for proper operation and compliance to safety and housekeeping standards.
2. Ability to work in a production environment around automated equipment.
3. Ability to work in an office environment utilizing a computer workstation.
4. Ability to work in a lab environment with chemical, biological and packaging materials.
5. Ability to travel by car or airplane, for one or several days, to suppliers, equipment vendors, trade shows, etc.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.