JOB OBJECTIVE: Manage and improve all aspects of company compliance to REACH and REACH like regulations, country specific chemical and biocides regulations, compliance to GHS, OSHA, TSCA, Prop 65, and other chemical regulations, material hazard assessments; customer SDS documentation, internal distribution, product hazard labeling and global Dangerous Goods product transportation program. Ensure Promega meets all product safety and transportation requirements to meet global business objectives. Maintain and improve internal safety processes including hazard communications and safety training.
1. Perform timely and accurate hazard assessments for new and modified products to assure compliance with domestic and international chemical regulations. Maintain product safety information in appropriate databases to meet routine and growing business needs.
2. Review and approve new and modified product labels for product safety content and compliance to international labeling standards to meet production and regulatory needs. Develop and implement methods to assure that product safety data is accurate and up to date, and processes for product safety information management are effective and efficient.
3. Ensure SDS are in compliance to all countries where products are being distributed. Maintain historical SDS and generate new ones in compliance to GHS regulations.
4. Qualify and manage the work of external contract safety testing groups as directed to assess and classify potentially hazardous materials, products, and instrumentation.
5. Lead global product safety compliance activities required in the development of new products. Serve as corporate liaison for regulatory agencies and corporate partners related to product safety. Proactively seek information on global regulatory trends or changes in product safety and hazard communications that might affect Promega’s business operations.
6. Provide technical support and direction to scientists and teams for all project/program efforts related to product safety and product shipping and distribution.
7. Develop and manage methods for creating and deploying product safety information and documentation (SDS’s, labels, shipping information) and maintenance. Maintain records as necessary to comply with business and regulatory requirements.
8. Manage and oversee global SDS distribution and posting methods to ensure that accurate and compliant information is sent to branches, distributors and end users.
9. Participate in the planning and execution of internal audits as directed to assess the effectiveness and efficiencies of compliance practices and their support processes.
10. Contribute to the proactive design, implementation, and improvement of all compliance processes supported by the department.
11. Understands and complies with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
12. Translate global transportation regulations and communicate transport information for shipping and logistics departments to guide work and assure safe, compliant and continuous flow of hazardous materials and all product shipments.
13. Develop and implement an in-house training program for designated Promega staff working as Dangerous Goods Specialists. Establish training objectives, deploy training and maintain training records.
14. Develop, maintain and assist in the development of safety programs. Train Promega employees in these programs; hazard communication, personal protective equipment and chemical hygiene, for example.
15. Participate in the design, execution, and documentation of quality system software and process validations as directed.
1. Collaborate with other Promega entities to assist in product compliance projects.
2. Execute tasks/projects or special assignments as required.
3. Represent the interests of the company in industry or professional organizations tasked with establishing consumer product safety regulations or guidance.
4. Lead or contribute to product safety software improvement, upgrades or installation projects.
1. Requires a BA/BS degree in Occupational Safety/Industrial Hygiene, physical sciences, or life sciences discipline. Minimum of 12 college level credits in chemistry, environmental health, biology, toxicology or industrial hygiene.
2. Demonstrated experience (>5 years) performing product safety assessments using product safety software and web publishing systems.
3. Demonstrated experience in development and maintenance of SDS’s for mixtures.
4. Intermediate to advanced level understanding of general lab practices chemical-based lab products.
5. Experience in labeling and shipping of hazardous products.
6. Must be able to work with minimal direction. Strong attention to detail and sound ability to interpret, translate and address regulatory needs.
7. Fluent in various software and database applications to enhance individual productivity.
8. Strong oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to read, understand and assist others in developing means to comply with regulations while meeting business needs.
1. MS/PhD degree in Occupational Safety/Industrial Hygiene and/or BS/MS in Chemistry with product safety experience. Candidates with strong chemistry background and experience are preferred.
2. Greater than 8 years’ experience in GHS, REACH, TSCA and OSHA compliance.
3. Must be highly self-motivated, organized, and an individual requiring limited supervision/guidance. Successful candidate will be able to facilitate employee- and customer-friendly business solutions involving product safety issues.
4. Experience in selecting, implementing, maintaining and improving product safety software would be helpful.
1. Ability to work with computer equipment.
2. Ability to move boxes weighing up to 30 lbs.
3. Ability to use PPE as necessary to perform assigned tasks.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.