JOB OBJECTIVE: Provide administrative and project support to the General Counsel and legal department.
1. Assist General Counsel and the legal department in providing legal support for acquisition, development and protection of technology and other intellectual property, and in the general commercial transaction area:
a. Prepare initial drafts of agreements, including confidential disclosure, material transfer, consulting, and other agreements.
b. Prepare contract amendments, extensions and termination notices for review by staff attorneys.
c. Prepare initial drafts of service agreements, waivers, releases, notes, schedules for agreements and other legal documentation.
d. Interact with various official offices (Office of Secretary of State, Department of Financial Institutions, etc.) for purposes of making required filings, obtaining information, and procuring certifications.
e. Maintain and update the legal department’s trademark database.
2. Assist General Counsel in securities law compliance, generation and maintenance of shareholder records, and shareholder relations:
a. Process and record stock transactions, maintain shareholder database and written records and assist General Counsel in resolving issues involving third-party stock transactions.
b. Generate quarterly reports on stock transactions and changes in significant share interests, generate other reports/information as requested.
c. Assist General Counsel in drafting proxy and other annual shareholder meeting materials, coordinate mailing of those materials.
d. Coordinate annual shareholder meeting.
3. Correspond with state and federal offices for Promega’s foreign state business filings, procuring certifications and any other documentation as requested.
4. Provide general administrative assistance to General Counsel including timely response to all inquiries, maintaining appropriate confidentiality; facilitate contact with General Counsel when requested and necessary; and other general administrative duties, including telephone management, meeting scheduling and logistics, travel arrangements for General Counsel, other corporate staff and visitors, processing items requiring signature approval, routing documents for distribution, drafting correspondence, filing, faxing, mail, etc.
5. Maintain awareness of status of ongoing legal matters so as to be able to respond appropriately to internal requests for information or assistance, and to prioritize and summarize issues for General Counsel's attention.
6. Attend staff and other meetings as necessary and/or in General Counsel's absence; note items for action by General Counsel and/or staff; follow-up where appropriate.
7. Understand and comply with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Assist on special projects as requested.
2. Perform other duties as assigned or as may be necessary.
1. Paralegal certification and a minimum of 5 years' paralegal experience in a law firm or corporation with at least 2 years working for upper management level staff.
2. Solid communications skills, including writing (grammar, composition, spelling), speaking and telephone etiquette and presence.
3. Ability to maintain confidentiality and understand attorney-client privilege issues.
4. Excellent organizational skills with ability to prioritize multiple tasks within tight deadlines.
5. Demonstrated tact and independence in handling internal and external contacts.
6. Computer experience including word processing, spreadsheet, graphics and databases. Strong attention to detail.
7. Ability to maintain confidentiality and understand attorney-client privilege issues.
8. Ability to work independently and to handle critical situations in a timely and effective manner.
9. Proven ability to work in a team environment.
1. Experience or familiarity with intellectual property issues.
2. Previous experience administering stock programs.
3. Knowledge of Windows, Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, as well as familiarity working in a Windows-based environment.
4. Previous experience working in a corporate setting in a high-tech environment.
5. Experience with electronic mail and network scheduling systems.
6. Good computer skills, and the ability to search out and test new software as market develops.
1. Ability to work with computer equipment and telephones.
2. Ability to occasionally move/lift boxes weighing up to 30 pounds.
3. Ability to set up meeting rooms with audio/visual equipment, refreshments, extra seating, etc.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.