JOB OBJECTIVE: The Strategic Operations Manager is responsible for developing and implementing strategic initiatives to drive operational excellence and to set up custom business for future growth. Work closely with the internal teams to identify, evaluate and prioritize opportunities, and work with cross-functional teams to embed and drive change. Grow custom business worldwide by building relationships and partnering with appropriate internal and external stakeholders.
1. Develop, plan, implement, monitor and communicate worldwide strategies (short and long-term) with clearly defined goals, objectives, critical success factors, timelines, budgets and action items. Ensure that custom strategies align with SBU and Operational goals.
2. Initiate and cultivate business development partnerships to establish long-term growth opportunities with all branches to understand how the Custom team can assist in selling custom capabilities in collaboration with the Director, Global Custom Marketing and Manager, Global Custom and OEM Solutions.
3. Work with Strategic Business Units (SBUs) to ensure that pricing strategies for top custom products are understood and implemented within Operations.
4. Initiate and direct market research activities. Develop and implement surveys, focus groups, and competitive profile summaries and reports. Analyze summary results, recommend custom operations strategic direction, goals and objectives from data.
5. Work alongside the Senior Manager, Manufacturing Operations to update investment and capital equipment plans for business development initiatives as needed. Work in collaboration with Director, Global Custom Sales and Manager, Global Custom & OEM Sales to develop sales projections and margin goals for custom products.
6. Translate SBU trends or initiatives into operational outputs in order to allow the custom team to grow and improve efficiencies proactively. Identify technologies to maintain and expand the business. Work with Manufacturing Operations to ensure plans are developed to meet these product or process needs.
7. Coach, develop, and guide staff helping them understand and work with them to achieve operational and business objectives.
1. Support commercialization strategy by attending industry trainings, workshops, conference, focus groups and other events in collaboration with Director, Global Custom Sales and Manager, Global Custom & OEM Sales.
2. Work with the Custom & OEM Sales (COS) team to understand value creation, needs, goals and risks for Promega and the potential partner. Implement operational procedures to support COS team work, as applicable.
3. Direct and manage inputs into the strategic roadmap and new product realization (NPR) process including situation analysis, SWOT, product/technology positioning, market size, customer segmentation, and pricing in collaboration with Director, Global Custom Sales and Manager, Global Custom & OEM Sales.
4. Provide direction based on market-driven data obtained from market segment leaders to prioritize internal resources and capture short and long-term goals to support custom sales, in collaboration with Director, Global Custom Sales and Manager, Global Custom & OEM Sales.
5. Maintain custom product contract database, ensuring Promega and customer obligations are met, based on agreement requirements such as forecasting and lot reservation.
6. Collaborate with Legal Department, R&D, and F&A. Coordinate business requirements, support negotiations and agreement development, as applicable.
7. Understands and complies with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Other duties as assigned.
1. BS in life science field.
2. Formal project management training/experience.
3. 7 or more years working in manufacturing operations.
4. Experience with global product and/or marketing management, experience with a portfolio of life science products.
5. Experience and ability to manage one or more direct reports, providing them direction, coaching, keeping them motivated and developing their careers to the benefit of the company and individual.
6. Strong communication skills and ability to present high level information for multiple audiences based on analysis and facts.
7. Executes sound judgment, analyzes issues, thinks strategically, creatively and uses innovative ideas. Demonstrates exceptional problem solving, analytical decision-making, conflict management, change management and negotiation skills.
8. Effectively develops trust, respect and cooperation with internal and external stakeholders and strategic partners.
1. MBA with specialization in marketing/business management.
2. Proven experience marketing to more than one life science market segment or application area.
3. Prior experience managing a complex multi-million dollar portfolio serving multiple market segments.
4. Experience in an ISO regulated environment.
1. Standard office-based activities, including use of office tools and equipment and proficiency in computer use (Microsoft Office Suite).
2. Travel, some international, up to 10% of time.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.