JOB OBJECTIVE: Establish global tax compliance and minimization strategies, processes and practices with strong internal controls and adherence to Federal, State and Local income, sales, transfer price and property tax laws and regulations.
1. Document our overall global tax strategic plan including how we will measure progress as well as success.
2. Streamline our compliance processes using the tenets of eliminate, simplify and then automate including documenting all proceses and cross-training.
3. Establish a strong internal control and quality environment including segregation of duties and 100% documented review of key aspects of supporting workpapers.
4. Calculate and make estimated annual, quarterly, monthly or other periodic income, state, local and property tax payments and make payments to proper taxing jurisdictions in a timely manner.
5. Calculate global income tax provision at year-end and coordinate external audit review and prepare income tax footnotes for annual financial statement report.
6. Generate, review and reconcile book and tax depreciation reports using the company’s fixed asset system.
7. Arrange to have a professional service firm prepare a transfer price study and then perform annual updates. Utilize the study to establish operating targets that are in line with the study and work with our international accounting team to implement pricing and procedures intended to meet those targets.
8. Prepare workpapers in support of annual Federal and State income tax returns prepared by external tax providers.
9. Prepare and file annual domestic Federal and State income tax return extension forms as needed.
10. Annually, compare an analysis of the Company’s effective income tax rate compared to our competitor set and highlight reasons why our effective income tax rate is higher or lower than the median.
11. Prepare and provide analyses for recommendation of appropriate tax rates to use in the company’s financial statements.
12. Register for income and sales/use tax in states as necessary and arrange for filing of appropriate tax returns.
13. Develop relationships with and seek ideas and strategies from a number of tax professional service firms for optimizing our U.S. and international tax environments.
14. Regularly, with the help of a tax professional network, identify tax saving or optimization ideas to work on and implement utilizing external expertise where there is a clear return on investment.
15. Coordinate and supervise the preparation of sales and use tax returns where we have substantial nexus and therefore may have reporting requirements.
16. Periodically, evaluate our use of software and systems to most efficiently and effectively meet the company’s income, sales/use, property and other tax compliance and filing needs.
17. Work with Federal, State and Local tax authorities to promptly resolve issues and disputes quickly and clearly, including filing questions, proposed adjustments, audits and routine correspondence.
18. Work with Payroll as needed to support any U.S. or Canada filings.
19. Keep abreast of current trends, practices, and developments in the profession by attending webinars, seminars, taking online courses, reading technical journals and other methods of staying current.
20. Assume other special activities and responsibilities from time to time as directed.
21. Understand and comply with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Minimum of 5 years of related tax professional experience in public accounting and/or private industry.
2. BS/BBA in Accounting.
3. Good analytical and organizational skills with attention to detail.
4. Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
5. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
6. Strong skills in general PC applications (a spreadsheet program, a word-processing program, and e-mail).
1. Experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
2. Certified Public Accountant.
3. Masters degree in taxation.
4. Experience working with an international company.
1. Ability to use telephone and computer.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.