JOB OBJECTIVE: Lead, develop and execute the portfolio strategy and roadmap, mentor product managers, and program management of products for Molecular Diagnostics Manufacturers (largely OEM and custom production) and NP Research and Care. Ability to run a complex multi-million dollar portfolio. Demonstrated strategic portfolio management and planning.
Global Portfolio Management
Serve as Marketing Sponsor or Representative on a cross-functional product development team. Develop and review new product market assessments, product requirements, voice of customer (VOC) and go to market strategies. Develop and coach product managers to champion product line targets successfully.
1. Lead overall process to define the portfolio strategy, product roadmaps and priorities on an on-going basis.
2. Identify business development opportunities in the form of alliance, partnerships, acquisitions, which enable growth of the portfolio.
3. Provide business case and accurate product forecasts to champion new product or platform concepts working with product managers and other key functional areas.
4. Monitor new technology or application trends and identify potential strategic or product development opportunities for the portfolio.
5. Validate and translate desired features and customer benefits into a value proposition to establish product/technology differentiation, and positioning relative to market landscape.
6. Provide goal, direction and input to the design of worldwide promotional campaigns.
7. Identify, review, prepare and/or deliver product training and product technical materials for internal and external customers.
Product Life Cycle Management
8. Lead and perform financial review of product performance, competitive positioning in the market, market share gains, wins/losses and best practices Lead and execute post-launch review metrics, evaluation of product performance in customer’s hands and voice of customer (VOC).
9. Manage response to customer complaints with cross-functional teams.
10. Provide direction and execution of trade shows, symposia, and other customer-focused events.
11. Develop and review product/technology marketing plans and ensures plans align with other parts of the company.
12. Provide input for the development of tactical plans for established marketing strategies with the Commercialization and/or Strategic Marketing Manager. Where appropriate, develop and deploy marketing collateral in support of existing products.
13. Liaison between marketing, sales, operations, technical support, legal and technical product development team.
14. Write customer-focused requirements in language appropriate for internal design and execution.
15. Prepare and give presentations on marketing and sales strategies and product performance.
16. Maintain network of internal and external business contacts. Network with customers to understand technical needs, trends and future products. Builds long-term relationships with customers, stakeholders and/or key opinion leaders.
17. Build network of advisors within the sales force. Assists in sales calls or closing sales, when appropriate.
18. Understands and complies with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. B.S. in life sciences with concentrated training in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cellular Biology, or an area of focus aligned to Promega’s business.
2. 10 years industry related experience in Product Management.
3. Demonstrated experience with accountability managing and growing a complex multi-million dollar product portfolio, to include revenue and profitability responsibility.
4. Previous experience and ability to collect global VOC and prioritize into successful product requirements. Ability to understand regional markets and successfully commercialization within regional markets.
5. Experience proactively driving a product area/strategic portfolio management taking appropriate risk, conducting analysis and presenting business analysis to support strategy. Demonstrated ability to assess opportunities for collaboration in licensing or acquisition and make recommendations.
6. Proactive and demonstrated ability to distill customer and market information to identify product opportunities that can be implemented with R&D. Knows the pulse of the market, leading to data based decision making. Qualitative and demonstrated rigor in decision-making analysis.
7. Understands how to read P&L statements and balance sheets.
8. Effectively and efficiently, prioritize multiple projects and resources based on an awareness of business goals and priorities. Results oriented, capable of managing with firm deadlines.
9. Proven ability to analyze issues, think strategically and creatively and execute innovative ideas in the target market segment.
10. Experience working with international branch or distributor marketing organization to effect global product launch, positioning and promotion.
11. Experience with new product development process. Understands product life cycle and application to product portfolio.
12. Communicate and negotiate effectively with several levels of co-workers and external contacts, both in writing and verbally. Adapt style and approach to suit different audiences. Build rapport and gain support/commitment. Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills.
13. Knowledge of manufacturing process, inventory management, and distribution logistics.
14. Experience in product development under Design Control.
1. M.S. or Ph.D. in life science with concentrated training in specified area.
2. MBA or equivalent desired.
3. Business fundamentals in strategy, financial analysis and planning, and marketing.
4. Demonstrated ability to manage direct reports.
1. Ability to use telephone equipment.
2. Ability to use computer equipment and basic software (preparing documents, email, scheduling).
3. Ability to travel.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.