Executes basic analytical procedures in the testing for identity of raw materials, in-process and finished products according to standard operating procedures. Using a diverse range of techniques, the Research Assistant will participate in development and evaluation of new analytical methods and technologies.
This is a full-time, paid internship, up to 40 hours per week, for approximately 3-6 months, starting immediately. Number of hours and schedule flexible during school.
- Must have completed Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry series.
- Must have ability to recognize structures and understand chemical properties of materials used in the labs.
- Chemistry or Bioschemistry major preferred
- Experience working with analytical laboratory instruments.
- Analytical testing of raw materials, in-process and finished goods according to written test methods and procedures.
- Comparison of data to specifications and judgments as to pass/fail.
- Preparation of reagents used in testing.
- Calibration of analytical instruments and routine maintenance of instruments.
- Must be able to work seamlessly with coworkers in the department and across other departments throughout the facility in a manner that is synergistic rather than additive.
- Must maintain an acceptable level of organization, neatness, cleanliness through out the lab and personal work space.
- Understand and comply with all elements of the PBI quality system appropriate for this position, including validation of test methods, performing stability studies, developing systems that are consistent and flexible.
- All employees must complete assigned duties in a safe manner, thoroughly familiarizing themselves with safety concerns, such as reading SDSs, wearing necessary protective clothing, including safety glasses, chemical resistant gloves, lab coat, etc. All employees are required to attend regularly scheduled safety and hazard communication meetings.
- Must be able to wear appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Must be able to move and walk frequently throughout the laboratory area.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds or more occasionally.
- Ability to stoop, bend, kneel, push and pull objects.
- Ability to read and understand labels, procedures, Safety Data Sheets, and distinguish colors.
- Must have good dexterity.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.