JOB OBJECTIVE: Provide leadership and direction for the corporation’s global marketing, direct sales, business development, legal strategies, fiscal management and strategic planning in the Academic/Government market segment. Provide direction and support to distribution sales, research and development, manufacturing, and administrative department management for revenue generation and operations management in the Academic/Government market segment.
1. Develop, plan, monitor, communicate and implement worldwide business growth strategies (short and long-term) with clearly defined goals, objectives, critical success factors, investments, timelines, budgets and action items.
2. Oversee strategic and tactical global marketing plans (specific to the Academic/Government market segment) including forecasts, budgets, market research, situation analysis, product portfolio management, product positioning and elements of marketing mix (product, price, promotion and distribution) to create competitive advantage.
3. Participate in identifying, assessing and/or implementing strategic collaborations, in-licensing and out-licensing for technology and business opportunities, product acquisitions, and/or joint business activities to achieve revenue targets and execute business and marketing strategies.
4. Oversee the management of existing and new relationships with key global industry leadership, both public and private sectors. Can translate networked relationships into business opportunities.
5. Participate in developing and implementing legal strategies and tactics to maximize the business segment’s strategic partnerships, revenue opportunities, competitive position or customer interaction including intellectual property portfolio, disputes, contracts and legal agreements.
6. Work with sales management to maximize revenue, profit, and to execute marketing and sales strategies by evaluating distribution channel alternatives, adjusting marketing tactics based on distribution channel performance, and ensuring sales teams’ needs for sales support material and training are met.
7. Partner with R&D management to provide market-driven input (revenue potential and market characteristics) for product development strategies; coordinates with R&D management at a strategic level to prioritize products under development and manage product commercialization issues.
8. Partner with Technology/Product Portfolio management teams to provide market-driven input (revenue potential and market characteristics) for product development strategies; coordinates with Technology/Product Portfolio management at a strategic level to prioritize products under development and manage product commercialization issues.
9. Partner with F&A to manage and coordinate the business segment’s financial/fiscal operation, to include the development and administration of capital and operating budgets and expenditures, and the establishment and management of the business segments’ financial controls. Communicates the business segment’s financial contributions for executive level planning and review to include ROI, gross profit, gross margin, operating expenses and/or contribution margin.
10. Measures business performance against expectations, report on results, and adjusts strategies and tactics to accomplish business goals.
11. Establishes and oversees a professional, trained and motivated staff through effective implementation of plans, delegation, performance and career development programs.
12. Manages performance of direct reports and cross-functional assigned team members to ensure accurate, timely and complete execution of strategies and tactical plans.
13. Understands and complies with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Employs experience and knowledge to grow revenue and improve processes in areas outside of direct responsibility, with particular emphasis on the marketing and business development functions in the organization.
2. Travels worldwide to obtain direct knowledge of internal and external opportunities and challenges.
1. MBA or equivalent required; undergrad degree in life science or work-related experience equivalent for understanding of scientific implications of the business.
2. Ten or more years’ experience in Business Management, to include two or more years’ experience in a similar role in the life science market.
3. Proven entrepreneurial experience developing new business opportunities, new technologies or products and managing a business through various stages of growth.
4. Two or more years’ experience in Business Development activities to include identification of opportunity, development of term sheet, executing negotiated agreements. Ideally includes variety of agreements such as supply, co-development, co-marketing, technology acquisition.
5. In-depth understanding of the marketing functions including: strategic and tactical marketing, marketing communications, market research, product management, distribution channels, competitive intelligence, customer relationship management.
6. Demonstrated ability to successfully synthesize and implement strategic business and marketing plans to various complexities of product portfolios in excess of $30 million, a department budget of $10 million, and staff of > 25.
7. Good knowledge of existing and emerging distribution channels and how to employ them for competitive advantage.
8. Exceptional public speaking skills needed to represent corporation at external meetings, conferences and organizations. Able to present high level information for multiple audiences based on analysis and facts.
9. Executes sound judgment, analyzes issues, thinks strategically, creatively, and uses innovative ideas. Demonstrates exceptional problem solving, decision-making, conflict management, change management and negotiating skills.
10. Effectively develops trust, respect and cooperation across all areas of the organization and staff levels. Ability to measure organizational effectiveness, manages career development, create and manage cross-functional teams.
1. MBA specialization in marketing management.
2. Prior experience in direct sales or sales management.
3. 2 years experience in market research and product management.
4. Minimum 3 years experience in Marketing Management position.
5. Has prior business experience in sales, marketing or operations, employing DNA analysis in forensic and/or paternity markets.
6. Can identify decision makers and decision-making process in the U.S. and/or European government grant process, validation and approval process for new technologies applicable to forensic and paternity market segments.
7. Has a working knowledge of the current technologies (STRs, DNA sequencing, sample storage and preparation) used in U.S. and/or European forensic and paternity market segments.
1. Ability to use telephone equipment.
2. Ability to use computer equipment.
3. Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 33% of time.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.