JOB OBJECTIVE: Working in a team environment, the Reliability Engineer 2 will be responsible for Design-for-Reliability of Promega’s analytical instruments and systems.
1. Serve as a key member of cross-functional engineering teams (internal and external) consisting of optical, electrical, software, mechanical, manufacturing, and quality engineers to develop high-performance analytical instruments. These instrument products will include light sources, optics, detectors, motion control, fluid handling, temperature control, and software.
2. Proactively review designs and provide specific recommendations to improve product safety and reliability, with consideration for risk-benefit costs.
3. Perform engineering simulations and calculations to assess reliability of designs including for example: strength and fatigue analysis, design margin of electronics, motor load curves, and so on.
4. Consider all aspects of system reliability including mechanical and electronic failures and user error.
5. Plan and perform accelerated life testing, both in-house and in collaboration with external test labs.
6. Plan and perform environmental and EMC/EMI testing, typically in collaboration with external test labs.
7. Collaborate with industrial designers, service personnel, and software developers to assess and improve usability and serviceability of instrument products.
8. Apply statistical methods to evaluate, predict, and improve system reliability.
9. Perform hands-on work to evaluate and test reliability of components, sub-assemblies, and complete instrument and systems. Personally perform this work and/or supervise technicians or outside resources doing this work.
10. Understand customer product needs and translate these into quantifiable and measureable reliability requirements.
11. Present analysis and test results to internal and external customers.
12. Stay current in reliability methodology by reading, training, attending conferences, and networking.
13. Understand and comply with ethical, legal, and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Support products post-launch by evaluating field failures and recommending specific design improvements.
2. Support preparation of proposals, project plans, and cost estimates.
3. May support production in the manufacture of instrument systems.
1. BS Degree in Engineering.
2. Minimum of 8 years industry experience, with a minimum of 4 years as a reliability engineer or equivalent.
3. Working knowledge of CAD software, preferably SolidWorks.
4. Working knowledge of electronics, sufficient to understand and assess electronic circuits and hardware designs.
5. Working knowledge of mechanical engineering, particularly in the areas of mechanisms, motors, materials, and fatigue in relation to reliability.
6. Proficient in software tools for structured reliability and statistical analysis.
7. Experience with industry standards for reliability.
8. Demonstrated ability to perform and/or direct testing, including performance, life, and EMC/EMI.
9. Excellent conceptual, analytical and problem solving abilities.
1. Basic knowledge of optics is desirable, particularly in LEDs and other light sources, detectors, and reliability of optical systems.
2. Experience developing analytical and/or medical devices in a regulated environment such as ISO-9001, ISO-13485 and/or FDA CFR-820 QMS is desirable.
1. May occasionally lift up to 40 pounds.
2. Ability to observe and inspect equipment and operations for proper operation and compliance to safety and housekeeping standards.
3. Ability to work in a production environment around automated equipment.
4. Ability to work in an office environment utilizing a computer workstation.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.