JOB OBJECTIVE: Provide business management for Custom Assay Services and a process for early commercial sales of new products and technologies. Lead definition and awareness of scope of Custom Assay Services, and provide analysis of financial performance. Initiate and cultivate business development partnerships to establish long-term growth opportunities. Develop and maintain relationships with key opinion leaders in the market as a resource for input on product development and market trends.
CAS Business Management
1. Oversee the flow of inquiries and project progression through the Custom Assay Services process. Manage interactions with clients, Branches, Sales, R&D, and Strategic Business Unit to define project scope and assess ability to deliver project success.
2. With R&D input, author Statements of Work and deliver to clients.
3. Identify market opportunities through developing and understanding market and competitor trends, customer needs and wants and technology trends. Direct and manage inputs into the strategic roadmap and New Product Realization (NPR) process including situation analysis, SWOT, product/technology positioning, market size, customer segmentation, and pricing as appropriate.
4. Monitor customer inquiries and trends to understand market dynamics. Analyze summary results; recommend strategic direction, goals and objectives from data.
5. Develop and update annual revenue forecasts in coordination with the branches. Update investment plans for business development initiatives as needed. Work with Finance and Global Commercialization Manager to develop contribution margin performance forecast. Understand the business unit investments in R&D and other non-directly controlled resources that affect contribution management performance.
6. Creates the business unit’s performance reporting as needed.
7. Ensure internal and external product and market training objectives are met. Review and ensure learning objectives, agendas, and content are aligned with short and long-term marketing strategies.
8. Coach, develop, and guide product management staff that manages a complex portfolio of technical products and services across the entire product life cycle.
9. Identify, assess and implement strategic collaborations, product or technology acquisitions, and/or joint business activities to achieve revenue targets. Create long-term growth opportunities and execute business or marketing strategies.
10. Support commercialization strategy by attending industry trainings, workshops, conference, focus groups and other events.
11. Screen potential business deals. Analyze market strategies and deal requirements. Assess revenue and contribution margin potential, secure technology evaluation, evaluate options and recommend investments or partnerships.
12. Develop Promega’s negotiating strategies and positions. Understand value creation, needs, goals and risks for Promega and the potential partner.
13. Obtain information and assumptions to develop financial models for deals. Develop or work with F&A on the financial models including ROI and NPV.
14. Provide direction based on market-driven data to R&D, Sales, Manufacturing, Technical Training and Support, and Global Commercialization Marketing manager to prioritize internal resources to capture short and long-term market opportunities.
15. Work with SBU Director, Legal Department, R&D, and F&A to close new business deals. Coordinate business requirements, support negotiations and agreement development.
16. Work with R&D and Manufacturing to establish processes and pricing for supply of non-inventoried products provided to collaborators or customers during co-development projects.
17. Understands and complies with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Other duties as assigned.
1. BS in life science field.
2. MBA or equivalent business and marketing training/experience.
3. 5 or more years global product and/or marketing management, experience with a portfolio of life science products.
4. Understanding of the marketing functions including strategic and tactical marketing, marketing communications, market research, product management, distribution channels, competitive intelligence and customer relationship management.
5. Strong communication skills and ability to present high-level information for multiple audiences based on analysis and facts.
6. Executes sound judgment, analyzes issues, thinks strategically, creatively and uses innovative ideas. Demonstrates exceptional problem solving, analytical decision-making, conflict management, change management and negotiation skills.
7. Effectively develops trust, respect and cooperation with internal and external stakeholders and strategic partners.
8. Knowledge of business agreement process.
9. Ability to work in a team environment.
10. Ability to work on multiple, complex projects with little supervision.
11. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.