JOB OBJECTIVE: Provide system-level expertise and innovation for Promega’s high performance Capillary Electrophoresis (CE) systems.
1. Key contributor on cross-functional teams (internal and external) consisting of optical, electrical, software, and mechanical engineers and scientists to develop, optimize, and sustain Promega’s high performance Capillary Electrophoresis instrumentation.
2. Provide a high level of expertise in Capillary Electrophoresis at a system level, bringing together all aspects of the CE system, including chemistry, capillary materials, instrument hardware, physics, optics, analysis software, and so on. The incumbent will apply their in-depth knowledge to provide specific guidance and technical oversight to the engineers and scientists developing Promega’s CE instruments and consumables.
3. Perform and document experiments to optimize CE systems, develop next-generation CE capability, and troubleshoot internal and customer problems. Incumbent will do this work hands-on in the lab, and may also provide direction to other scientists and technicians.
4. Apply CE system knowledge to provide specific and detailed input to the mechanical, optical, software, and electrical engineers working on new and existing CE instruments.
5. Understand customer product needs and translate these into CE system requirements.
6. Apply CE system knowledge to provide specific and detailed input to the supplier(s) that manufacture capillary arrays and other critical elements of new and existing CE instruments.
7. Present experimental findings and analysis to internal and external customers.
8. Conceive and develop innovations in CE to help drive Promega’s long-term success in CE.
9. Actively remain current in CE science by reading literature, attending appropriate conferences, personal networking, and competitive benchmarking.
10. Write and present scientific findings to customers, in published papers, and at scientific conferences to promote Promega capability and products.
11. Understand and comply with ethical, legal, and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Support production in the manufacture of CE systems.
2. Support preparation of proposals, project plans, and cost estimates.
1. MS Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, or equivalent.
2. Minimum of 6 years’ experience with CE systems, as a user and preferably within a CE product development team.
3. Knowledge of the physical-chemical science of capillary electrophoresis.
4. Broad knowledge of optics, electronics, software, and mechanical engineering, especially in the context of analytical instruments.
5. Excellent conceptual, analytical and problem solving abilities.
6. Demonstrated ability to perform and document structured laboratory experiments in separation science.
1. Deep theoretical and practical knowledge of the physical-chemical science of capillary electrophoresis.
2. Expertise in Capillary Electrophoresis for DNA/RNA separation is highly preferred, though experience with protein separation is also acceptable.
3. Experience with GeneMapper or similar analysis software is desirable.
4. Experience developing analytical instruments and/or medical devices in a regulated environment such as ISO-13485 or FDA QMS is desirable.
1. Ability to work in a production environment around automated equipment.
2. Ability to work in an office environment utilizing a computer workstation.
3. Ability to work in a lab environment with chemical and biological materials.
4. Ability to travel by car or airplane, for one or several days, to suppliers, customers, training, and trade shows.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.