The primary responsibility of the Sr. Process Engineer is to identify and execute continuous improvement projects related to production and utilities. They will also assist and facilitate Manufacturing Operations in problem solving with regards to synthetic organic chemistry equipment and associated support utilities and systems. They will participate in the design, configuration, and start-up of new manufacturing processes and equipment including technology transfer, and process-validation activities. Additional responsibilities may include collaboration with R&D, Process Development and Production to design and scale-up synthetic organic chemistry processes, instrumentation, and equipment from the laboratory through the pilot and manufacturing process for new and existing products.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical, BioProcess, or equivalent Engineering discipline
- Ten or more year’s total engineering experience with manufacturing processes involving reactors, centrifuges, vacuum filtration, distillation columms, chromatography columns, and rotary evaporators.
- Must have a demonstrated record of achievement in manufacturing and problem solving with production teams.
- Demonstrated experience managing complex projects with little daily instruction and receiving only general instruction/vision on new projects/assignments.
- Excellent Organization, Communication, and Presentation skills.
- Ability to handle both multiple and changing priorities with assigned milestones, timelines, budgets, resources.
- Ten or more years experience in a QSR/cGMP/FDA regulated industry (Life Sciences, Medical Device, and/or Pharmaceutical industries) as a Process engineer
- Experience with various liquid-liquid, and solid-liquid separation methods.
- 10 - 20 years of related professional experience in use of processes such as Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, FMEA, DOE, etc., or equivalent experience.
- Project Management (PM) Certification preferable.
- Solid computer skills and working knowledge of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Masters degree in scientific discipline.
- Experience with Allen Bradley controls, and Rockwell Automation’s FactoryTalk software platform.
- Experience with CIP processes.
- Experience with solvent transfer and dispensing.
- Continuous Improvement – Drive continuouis improvement initiatives. Coordinate cross-departmentally to identify, prioritize and implement process improvement plans identified for manufacturing of products. Determine the business case to support new production processes or equipment and participate in analysis for capital project justification.
Troubleshooting and Problem Solving – Utilitze troubleshooting methodology to investigate issues with process equipment, utilitiy systems, and automated equipment. Direct experience with problems solving methodology such as DMAIC, RCFA, FMEA, Fish-bone diagrams, or 5 Whys, etc.
Work independently and in teams to create product manufacturing process descriptions, flow diagrams, and requirements for material and personnel flow within the production line. Exercise good judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluations criteria for obtaining results
Project Management – Lead and participate in cross-functional teams to develop process objectives, evaluate alternative approaches, and develop plans and timelines. Communicate and present project status reports to management and company personnel. Monitor project progress and work with team members and management to address issues.
Communication – Utilize interactions with internal and external resources to improve and enhance efficiencies and effectiveness. Prepare and deliver project status presentations to customer groups and Promega Management.
Mentoring - Lead, train and/or mentor junior engineers related to requirements and practices.
Recommend and/or establish processes and systems to monitor performance towards production objectives
Stay current on trends and technology advancements within the chemical and biotech industries through internal and external networks and areas of influence and expertise
Develop product manufacturing process control and monitoring requirements for new and existing production systems.
- Partner with Quality Assurance (QA) to develop and maintain process, and process equipment requirements related to product quality requirements
- Lead root cause failure analysis investigations that have the potential to significantly improve product manufacturing systems.
- Understand and comply with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
- Ability to work in a production environment around large equipment.
- Ability to work in an office environment utilizing a computer workstation.
- Ability to work in a lab environment with chemicals and hazardous materials.
- Ability to travel by car or airplane, for one or several days, to suppliers, equipment vendors, trade shows, etc
- Physical ability to move easily throughout the day, including climbing stairs, reaching, bending and the ability to move and lift objects averaging 10 pounds, but up to 40 pounds daily.
Promega Biosciences, located in San Luis Obispo, blends innovative research in chemistry with excellence in manufacturing to meet the rapidly changing needs of the scientific community. We synthesize and manufacture essential reagents to help Promega succeed as a life science leader.
Our areas of expertise include synthesis, process design and scale-up, and commercial manufacturing (grams to kilograms) of modified luciferins and coelenterazines. These pro-bioluminescent products aid in life science research. We bring pride, passion, and purpose to our work and the products we provide.
Promega Biosciences offers its employees a work environment that encourages creativity, work-life balance, and personal and professional growth. We support community involvement and are committed to being good stewards and reducing our impact on the environment. Promega fosters a positive, fun, and warm family culture. To learn more about our values, please visit our Corporate Responsibility website.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including comprehensive medical insurance, dental and vision insurance, 401k matching, company-paid life insurance, time-off benefits, and more.
Our San Luis Obispo facility is at the heart of California’s beautiful central coast. San Luis Obispo is a destination for wine aficionados, nature lovers, and pleasure-seekers alike. You might enjoy views of the Pacific Ocean from one of our scenic Nine Sisters, a chain of volcanic peaks that run along the coast. Or, spend a day gallivanting around the many wineries, local boutiques, and renowned restaurants in the area. Proclaimed as the “happiest town in the USA”, our community provides a rich and rewarding place to live and play. To learn more about San Luis Obispo, check out the VisitSLO website.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.