Focus: Position will support business units in North America from a sales and a technical support standpoint. Ideal candidates will have experience in a pharmaceutical/biotechnology/academic/clinical setting using automated liquid handlers, nucleic acid purification, protein purification, performing compound screening, and cell culture. Experience scripting multiple automation platforms, writing automated scripts for Promega reagent solutions is required. Candidate will work out of Home. Preferably near a major Airport
JOB OBJECTIVE: Provide technical support in the field, collaborating with Life Science Products and Services, Scientific Collaborations Team, Scientific Applications, R&D, Sales and Marketing globally. The primary duty is to conduct automated liquid handling instrument and/or reagent demonstrations in the customer laboratories while being recognized as the “technical product expert” for related applications. Provide technical advice, troubleshoot and recommend products and solutions. Additionally, the Field Support Scientist will be responsible for conducting application experiments and documenting outcomes.
Field and demo related duties:
1. Develop and conduct Promega product instrument, automated liquid handler script writing &/or reagent demonstrations in the customer laboratories while being recognized as the “technical product expert” for the system and related applications, this includes installation of pre-developed and validated Promega solutions. Help drive success and efficiencies of the selling process in conjunction with local Field Application Scientists (FAS). Provide technical advice, troubleshoot and provide product recommendations and solutions.
2. Partner with sales staff to answer questions regarding Promega products and technologies. Partner with corporate Technical Service to report customer feedback, report incidents and to collaborate to address customer inquiries. Provide pre- and post-sale support as needed. Will be responsible for presenting commercial materials around products and services (positioning, standardizing demos, competitor knowledge and how to handle demos and questions around these topics).
3. Work cooperatively with Promega Sales, Technical Support and Marketing colleagues to coordinate and schedule in field demonstrations, and actively provide feedback regarding customer requirements, demo success, general product improvements and customer perceptions of competitor product offerings and how Promega products compare. Proactive engagement of customers and FAS (sales), etc., in demos and meetings to refine existing and future products and services in conjunction with the commercial team. Provide feedback in a regular and impactful way.
In-house and product application related duties:
4. Perform application experiments on Promega products as assigned based on customer inquiries/concerns and corporate need. Generate laboratory data that contributes to the understanding of the technical challenges and benefits associated with reagents, instrumentation and integration. Maintain clear and complete records of laboratory procedures and communicate results. Core focus of Field Support Scientist (FSS) work will be on automated liquid handling instrumentation, reagents, application workflows and sample type/s.
5. Work cooperatively and effectively with Promega departments, Branches and staff (Life Science Products and Services, Sales (FAS), Global Marketing, Technical Support, R&D, SAS, etc.) as required to support improvements in the design, application, sales and support of Promega products and processes.
6. Keep abreast of new technologies and stay current in technical knowledge in order to provide recommendations and troubleshoot technical questions from customers. Provide information to customers in a positive and professional manner
7. Understands and complies with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Attend meetings and seminars and support Promega Marketing and Sales by presenting seminars, assisting with tradeshow activities and related.
2. Evaluate, validate and comment on products and related protocols in new product development as defined by the design control aspect of our quality system. Provide feedback to product teams as an internal field test when necessary.
3. Participate in corporate cross-functional teams by providing customer feedback and reporting product related information to help with new product development and marketing campaign activities.
4. Provide product training to existing and newly hired employees as needed.
SPECIFIC JOB RELATED SKILLS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Automated liquid handling skills, which requires liquid handling script generation/optimization from manual methods to automated liquid handling instrumentation while supporting automated standard and custom solutions.
2. Comfortable with giving presentations and speaking in front of large audiences with the ability to think quickly to effectively address customer questions.
3. Technical competency with the ability to stay current in technical knowledge as related to Promega products and related applications.
4. Customer service skills with a dedication to customer support.
5. Excellent problem-solving skills.
6. Well organized and able to prioritize workload and schedule, manage multiple projects, meet aggressive deadlines and work in an environment with frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
1. BS/MS/PhD degree in molecular biology, cell biology, protein biochemistry or related life science area.
2. Expertise using laboratory equipment and automated liquid handling instrumentation is necessary.
3. Minimum 3 years “at the bench” industry lab experience and proven knowledge and understanding of core applications in molecular biology, cell biology, protein biochemistry, nucleic acid purification in a life science, pharmaceutical, academic or clinical setting.
Automated liquid handler/Robotics/Instrumentation and integrated solutions experience.
4. Prior experience in a position requiring customer interaction and product support within the life science and pharmaceutical or clinical industry (Technical Service, Sales, Marketing, Product Management, etc.).
5. Ability to discuss fundamentals, principles and technical theory of experimental design, techniques and results in a concise and professional manner.
6. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Communicate with customers and staff via telephone, email and in person. Can write detailed instructions and reports effectively.
7. Computer experience using programs including, but not limited to, Beckman/Hamilton/Tecan automated liquid handling software, Windows, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. In addition, ability to learn and use new programs as needed. Experience with internet technology also desirable.
8. Experience with handling biological samples, some of which may be potentially infectious samples. Understanding of appropriate biosafety techniques.
9. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
10. Ability to create and deliver technical presentations, seminars and support materials for demonstrations and general product support. Previous teaching or technical training a plus.
11. Proven ability to lead and contribute intellectually to team-directed, multi-disciplinary projects.
12. Proven conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
13. Deep customer knowledge and relationships with thought leaders.
1. Ability to use standard laboratory/automated liquid handling instrumentation.
2. Ability to wear safety equipment and follow safety guidelines while in the laboratory.
3. Ability to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 lbs. required.
4. Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
5. Ability to drive.
6. Ability and willingness to maintain a travel schedule up to 50%, occasionally on short notice.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.