JOB OBJECTIVE: The Automation Engineer 1 will design, implement and test automated equipment and machines. Be able to troubleshoot problems with mechanical equipment and ensure it is functioning properly. Create specifications and standards for production system controls, and maintain and modify control systems as required. Also have the ability to troubleshoot entire systems, consisting of several machines, which are designed to perform a specific function.
1. Process Automation – Investigate and analyze dispensing and packaging processes for automation potential. Research and identify appropriate equipment for automation of processes in dispensing, packaging, warehousing and distribution.
2. System Design – Design automation process descriptions, hardware and software architectures for process and packaging systems such as CIP, compounding, filtration, filling, secondary and tertiary packaging.
3. Programming – Create, change, properly document, and maintain configuration control of programs for production systems.
4. Troubleshooting and Problem Solving – Perform investigative procedures to troubleshoot problems with control logic, control hardware devices and field devices, data communication, and SCADA-level functions.
5. Change Management – Perform as automation expert in assessing and executing changes to production control systems.
6. Engineering Commissioning and Validation – Assist with production system moves, new installations, and upgrades to existing system with commissioning and validation testing support and execution. Prepare installation and testing scope and effort estimates. Perform the installation tasks, including testing and documentation of the automation systems per GDP.
7. Understands and complies with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
8. Must stay current on technology.
1. Present updates and project information at various department meetings.
2. Attend relevant automation professional meetings and technical seminars.
1. Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2-5 years of previous related professional experience or equivalent experience. Mechanical or electrical Engineering coursework which may include robotics and PLC/HMI Programming.
2. Packaging system automation experience in a manufacturing environment in the biotech, pharmaceutical, diagnostics, food, or chemical industry.
3. Excellent communication and problem solving skills.
4. Programming training and experience, including PLCs (Allen-Bradley at a minimum), Robotics (Fanuc preferred), and machine vision.
5. Must have a solid understanding of computer programming and software development and be prepared for frequently working with computers to program processes.
6. Must be able to troubleshoot equipment problems and perform complex system tests. Also must be creative thinker to design automated systems.
7. Must have an understanding of computer networking and software development is required as well.
1. B.S. in Electrical, Computer, or Mechatronics Engineering.
2. Experience with PLC-level program design.
3. Experience with automated liquid filling (vials, bottles, cartridges) and secondary packaging (kitting, cartoning, case packing, palletizing) equipment.
1. Ability to observe and inspect equipment and operations for proper operation and compliance to safety and housekeeping standards.
2. Ability to work in a production environment around automated equipment.
3. Ability to work in an office environment utilizing a computer workstation.
4. Ability to work in a lab environment with chemical, biological and packaging materials.
5. Ability to travel by car or airplane, for one or several days, to suppliers, equipment vendors, trade shows, etc.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.