We are seeking a highly capable Manufacturing Scientist to join our dynamic Production team in our San Luis Obispo facility.
This position is responsible for performing and optimizing a variety of operations to manufacture organic compounds for inclusion in products which are used as tools to study gene functions, enzymes, drug interactions, metabolism and more.
This position is full-time, 40 hours per week.
A successful candidate will have:
- BS degree in a scientific field and 5-8 years of experience in a chemical or manufacturing industry, or MS and 2-4 years, or PhD and 0-2 years experience (previous experience as a chemist in a Kilo lab is ideal).
- A good understanding of synthetic chemistry fundamentals, chemical transformations, and reaction mechanisms.
- The ability to independently perform all aspects of chemical processing of assigned projects when given manufacturing procedures.
- Demonstrated consistent success in project completion.
- Experience handling hazardous materials or equipment, and adherence to safety and manufacturing procedures is required.
- Must be able to communicate in a clear, concise, and diplomatic manner.
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Review existing manufacturing procedures and provides technical expertise to clarify or improve procedures when necessary.
- Complete production planning in advance of project, including raw materials inventory, ordering supplies, monitoring receipt and preparing for production.
- Manufacture assigned products, following standard manufacturing procedures and quality standards to meet production needs.
- Complete equipment set-up, operation, post production clean-up, and hazardous waste disposal.
- Execute, improve, or develop in-process testing as required, and work with analytical staff to meet anticipated testing needs.
- Assist with resolving technical issues as well as maintenance of production equipment.
- May establish operation equipment specifications and improve manufacturing techniques.
- Assist in developing methods and procedures to control or modify manufacturing processes.
- May oversee the daily activities of technicians working on the assigned projects, promoting safe work practices.
- Work with Process Development group during synthesis design, review and edit manufacturing procedures. May serve as manufacturing point person in product transfers.
- Train others on new manufacturing processes.
- Reading: Must be able to review and understand written procedures and technical documents.
- Writing: Must be able to communicate effectively through notes and emails. Able to describe procedures clearly and concisely in a written document.
- Math: Must have good math skills and the ability to calculate unit conversions and use the metric system.
- Other: Must possess a very high level of attention to detail and utilize scientific thought and critical thinking in a production setting.
- Ability to work with products in a fume hood or laminar flow hood.
- Must be able to wear appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Ability to observe and inspect equipment and production systems for proper operation and compliance to safety and quality standards
- Ability to work around automated equipment.
- Ability to move objects averaging 10 pounds, but up to 50 pounds daily.
- Ability to move easily and constantly during the day.
- Ability to move in and out of freezers and work in a cold environment.
Promega Biosciences, located in San Luis Obispo, blends innovative research in chemistry with excellence in manufacturing to meet the rapidly changing needs of the scientific community. We synthesize and manufacture essential reagents to help Promega succeed as a life science leader.
Our areas of expertise include synthesis, process design and scale-up, and commercial manufacturing (grams to kilograms) of modified luciferins and coelenterazines. These pro-bioluminescent products aid in life science research. We bring pride, passion, and purpose to our work and the products we provide.
Promega Biosciences offers its employees a work environment that encourages creativity, work-life balance, and personal and professional growth. We support community involvement and are committed to being good stewards and reducing our impact on the environment. Promega fosters a positive, fun, and warm family culture. To learn more about our values, please visit our Corporate Responsibility website.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including comprehensive medical insurance, dental and vision insurance, 401k matching, company-paid life insurance, time-off benefits, and more.
Our San Luis Obispo facility is at the heart of California’s beautiful central coast. San Luis Obispo is a destination for wine aficionados, nature lovers, and pleasure-seekers alike. You might enjoy views of the Pacific Ocean from one of our scenic Nine Sisters, a chain of volcanic peaks that run along the coast. Or, spend a day gallivanting around the many wineries, local boutiques, and renowned restaurants in the area. Proclaimed as the “happiest town in the USA”, our community provides a rich and rewarding place to live and play. To learn more about San Luis Obispo, check out the VisitSLO website.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.